|The Cathedral orthodox Church of a birth the Mother of God.
Rostov-on-Don is the city and the administrative center of Rostov region and the Southern Federal District of Russia, located on the Don River. The mouth of the Don River has been of great commercial and cultural importance since the ancient times. It was the site of a Greek colony, a Genoese fort, and a Turkish fortress at different times throughout history. Rostov-on-Don was named after Saint Dimitry of Rostov, and was established in 1749.
Rostov-on-Don is one of the largest cities of Russian Federation with population over one million people. Area of the city is 354 sq. km., the distance from Moscow — 1226 km. it is the most heavily industrialized city of South Russia, cultural center with large number of universities, colleges, architectural monuments and museums, and is an important river port in both passenger-oriented and industrial shipping.
Rostov-on-Don is, industrial, scientific and cultural center of the south of the country, an important railway junction. There is an international airport in Rostov. About 500 flights a year are made on international lines.
Rostov-on-Don is situated in the centre of the South Russia thoroughfares, which provide the outlets to the three seas: Black, Azov and Caspian, direct contacts with the whole European part of CIS, Transcaucasia, the Middle East and Mediterranean.