The collection of the State Hermitage includes over 3 million works of art and world culture artefacts. It contains paintings, graphic works, sculptures, works of applied art, archaeological artefacts and numismatic objects.
Founding of the Museum
The Hermitage is considered to be founded in 1764, when Empress Catherine the Great acquired an impressive collection of works from the Berlin merchant Johann Ernst Gotzkowsky.
The museum celebrates the anniversary of its founding each year on 7 December, St. Catherine’s Day.
The Main Museum Complex
The Winter Palace, the Small Hermitage, the Great (Old) Hermitage, the Hermitage Theatre, the New Hermitage (32–38 Dvortsovaya Embankment)
Exhibition Complexes of the State Hermitage, St. Petersburg
The Winter Palace of Peter the Great (34 Dvortsovaya Embankment, located in the building of the Hermitage Theatre,) Menshikov Palace (15 Universitetskaya Embankment); East Wing and the Arch of the General Staff Building (6–8 Palace Square); The Museum of the Imperial Porcelain Factory, located on the premises of the Imperial Porcelain Factory Ltd. (151 Prospekt Obukhovskoi Oborony)
The Staraya Derevnya Restoration and Storage Centre (37 Zausadebnaya Street)
The Winter Palace. 1754–1762. Architect Francesco Bartolomeo Rastrelli. Reconstructed by Vasily Stasov(1769–1848) after a fire in 1837
The Small Hermitage. 1764 –1769. Architects Yury Velten and Jean-Baptiste Vallin de la Mothe.
The Great (Old) Hermitage. 1771–1787. Architect Yury Velten.
The Hermitage Theatre. 1783–1787 Architect Giacomo Quarenghi.
The New Hermitage. 1842–1851 Architect Leo von Klenze, construction supervised by Vasily Stasov and NikolaiYefimov.
Reserve House of the Winter Palace. 1726–1742, 1830, 1878 Architects Domenico Trezzini (?), О.Trezzini, N.Bekker.
Menshikov Palace. 1710–1727
Architects Giovanni Mario Fontana, Georg Schedel
The General Staff Building (former Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Finance building). 1820–1830
Architect Carlo Rossi
Buildings comprising the Staraya Derevnya Restoration and Storage Centre
The beginning of construction – 1990
Total area of the premises (buildings) 233 345 sq.metres
Exhibition area 66 842 sq.metres